On 07/25/2009 12:34 PM, Clint wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new to iSCSI implementations on Linux (and Windows).  I
> had an existing implementation that was running on Slackware 12.1 but
> "self distruction" and was never documented.  I have attempted to
> rebuild the connection as data exists that I need to recover but can't
> even get iscsiadm to run on the Slackware 12.1 system. I have build a
> new Centos 5.3 (el5), fully updated, and have installed the latest
> stable build of open-iscsi.  I had to do the make KSRC command to get
> a succesful build, a straight make install did not work but running
> make install after the make KSRC did complete succesfully.  However
> when I try to start open-isci, I get the following error (kernerl is
> 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5 #1 SMP):
> /etc/init.d/open-iscsi start
> Starting iSCSI initiator service: FATAL: Error inserting iscsi_tcp (/
> lib/modules/2.6.18-128.2.1.el5/kernel/drivers/scsi/iscsi_tcp.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> FATAL: Error inserting ib_iser (/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.2.1.el5/kernel/
> drivers/infiniband/ulp/iser/ib_iser.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or
> unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> Are these really FATAL errors or do I need to deal with this?  I did
> some Googling and did not arrive at a definitive answer.

If you are using iser you should be concerned. If not then then you can
ignore.

You can actually just use the iscsi-initiator-utils package and kernel
that comes with Centos 5.3 and do not need the open-iscsi.org tarball.

To install the iscsi tools in Centos do

yum install iscsi-initiator-utils

> Should I consider a different distribution?
>
> Given the above resolution, what are my next steps, the README is not
> clear on this.  Do I need to configure the iscsid.conf file first.
> What about the iface0 file?  Does it need a hardware address and is
> that the same as eth0 or something else?  When to use iscsiadm, it
> appears to be able to some of the heavy listing.
>
> Would appreaciate any direction I can get on this.  Some additional
> information that may or may not be helpful.
>
> initiatorname.iscsi:
> InitiatorName=iqn.2005-03.org.open-iscsi:292f1499dcaa

For the basics you only need to follow 7.0 of the README (Centos follows
the red hat notes in there).

After you have done
yum install iscsi-initiator-utils

> target info:
> ign.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa1012i.0824d5872b.a
> HP MAS1012i SCSI Disk Drive
> 192.168.100.4:3260

you can do

#service iscsi start
# iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p 192.168.100.4

you should then see some targets and portals get spit out

you can then

do

# iscsiadm -m node -l

this will log into all the targets. Then do

# iscsiadm -m session -P 3

to see some iscsi info (more info on that is in the readme section 9).

Then you can run iscsiadm by hand to logout or you can do

service iscsi stop

Then on the next reboot, the iscsi service should get started
automatically and login to the targets found above.

You only need to the iface stuff if you want to bind a session to a
specific nic. Probably best to try the basics above first.