more INLINE below...

On Nov 17, 2009, at 7:27 PM, Mike Christie wrote:

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

>>> Also Mike, I'm seeing one or two of these every 30-40 minutes if I slam our
>>> EqualLogic with roughly 7-15k IOPS (reads and writes) non stop on 3
>>> volumes.  In this type of scenario, would you expect to see timeouts like
>>> this once in awhile?  If so, do you think increasing my NOOP timeouts would
>>> assist so we don't get these?  maybe set it to 15 seconds instead of 10?
>>>

>> Equallogic does active loadbalancing (redirects) during operation..
>> dunno about the errors though.
>>

> Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks Pasi!
>
> Joseph, look in the EQL target logs for something about the EQL box
> doing load balancing. I think normally we handle the load balancing more
> gracefully, but we might be messing up. I think if EQL was load
> balancing in the open-iscsi logs we would see something about getting a
> async iscsi pdu from the target that asks us to logout. Then when we
> relogin the target would redirect us to the optimal path.

There are two things that the EQL does, I believe-- one thing is async logout,
the other is login_redirect.   Unfortunately, from the EQL syslog side we don't
see any errors related to this.  It's my understanding, however, that when a
login is initially attempted to the EQL, it hits the "group ip" or an alias'd
IP sitting on a real nic.  The group IP looks at all the interfaces on the EQL
and decides, based on some algorithm, which EQL nic the session should connect
to.  It then sends the initiator that made the request a login_redirect, which
I thought is basically a "logout and reconnect" pdu.  It would say, for
example, "you're can't log into the group IP, however, you can log into this IP
(a real nic) that it would prefer you be logged into."

I'm thinking that the "failed login" is actually the result of that attempt to
log into the group IP and it sending a login redirect pdu back to it.

Don, does this seem like normal EQL traffic to an OiS initiator?

> --

Joseph R. Hoot
Lead System Programmer/Analyst
(w) 716-878-4832