On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 20:45 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 07:38:28PM +0100, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Joe Landman
> > <land...@scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> > > This is less than 1us per IOP.  Interesting.  Their hardware may not
> > > actually support this.  10GbE typically is 7-10us, though ConnectX and
> > > some
> > > others get down to 2ish.
> >
> > Which I/O depth has been used in the test ? Latency matters most with
> > an I/O depth of one and is almost irrelevant for high I/O depth
> > values.
> >

> iirc outstanding I/Os was 20 in that benchmark.

Also of interest, according to the following link

http://gestaltit.com/featured/top/stephen/wirespeed-10-gb-iscsi/

is that I/Os are being multiplexed across multiple TCP connections using
RFC-3720 defined Multiple Connection per Session (MC/S) logic between
the MSFT Initiator Nehalem machine and Netapp Target array:

"The configuration tested (on the initiator side) was an IBM x3550 with
dual 2 GHz CPUs, 4 GB of RAM, and an Intel 82598 adapter. This is not a
special server – in fact, it’s pretty low-end! The connection was tuned
with RSS, NetDMA, LRO, LSO, and jumbo frames and maxed out over 4 MCS
connections per second. I’m not sure what kind of access they were doing
(I’ll ask Suzanne), but it’s pretty impressive that the NetApp Filer
could push 1,174 megabytes per second!'

It just goes to show that software iSCSI MC/S can really scale to some
very impressive results with enough x86_64 horsepower behind it..

--nab