On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:33:53AM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:44:00PM -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
> > Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >
> >> I think SFP+ 10 Gbit has 0.6usec latency.. ? 10GBase-T is 2.6 usec.
> >

> > http://www.mellanox.com/pdf/whitepapers/wp_mellanox_en_Arista.pdf
> >

> This one is from 2008..
>
> > They are reporting 7+ us latency.  ConnectX are a bit better on latency
> > than the Intel NICs.
> >
> > http://www.ednasia.com/article-24923-solarflarearistanetworkspublishtestreportdemonstratinglowlatencywith10gbe-Asia.html
> >
> > shows latency, server to server of ~5us.  This is about what you expect
> > (and why 10GbE isn't quite to IB capability yet in low latency apps).
> >

> Yeah.. well, I don't seem to be able to find better data :)

Marketing stuff again:
http://www.aristanetworks.com/media/system/pdf/CloudNetworkLatency.pdf

"Arista Cut-through Design: Intra-Rack Latency: 0.6us, Inter-Rack Latency:
2.4us".

> > I suspect that they really aren't seeing ~1us latencies, but that with
> > some neat tricks, it appears to be this.
> >
> > Physically, it isn't there.  I'd classify this as a "marketing number"
> > (e.g. unachievable in applications that matter).  I'd be happy to be
> > proven wrong, but there really isn't much to suggest that I am wrong.

Thinking about this again.. how can they cheat? That >million IOPS was the
iometer reported benchmark result?

Of course they used ramdisks on the iscsi targets etc..

-- Pasi