On Mar 29, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

Also, we might want to think about other bundlings, such as
creating a
single jar with all dependencies,

I'm not all that keen on merging other project's jars into a single
monolithic jar. I think people expect that component-oriented
software is going to have various required and optional dependencies.

I feel that monolithic jar bundling is more appropriate for an
application, rather than for a component.

I agree, but I know that others disagree, and I don't see any reason why
one is necessarily more right than another. The cost to us of having a
separate jar / distro seems low, and if it helps with adoption, I don't
see a downside.

I think that it does help adoption, and I don't see a downside either.

Craig

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

______________________________________________________________________ _ Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information of BEA Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.

One thing that I would like to see happen prior to 0.9.7 is a
change to
the build artifacts so that we don't have '-project' or
'-all' tacked
onto the releases everywhere.

I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-194 for
this and assigned it to myself.

Also, we might want to think about other bundlings, such as
creating a
single jar with all dependencies,

I'm not all that keen on merging other project's jars into a single
monolithic jar. I think people expect that component-oriented
software is going to have various required and optional dependencies.

I feel that monolithic jar bundling is more appropriate for an
application, rather than for a component.

or a download that includes docs. What do you guys think?

The binary assembly is meant to include the docs (and did on past
releases). I notice that they are absent from recent snapshots,
though. I'll try to figure out why that is.

-Patrick

Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information of BEA Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!