I agree that it would definitely make it easier to get started with
the project's binary.  The only downside is if a user might want to
replace any of those JARs with newer -- presumably compatible! --
versions for some reason.  It may not be an issue with OpenJPA, but
with things like Struts, it's not uncommon for someone to want to swap
out a version of commons-foobar.jar for something older / newer /
different.

 So, as an alternate bundling -- +1.

Eddie

On 3/31/07, Craig L Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mar 29, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>>> Also, we might want to think about other bundlings, such as
>> creating a
>>> single jar with all dependencies,
>>
>> I'm not all that keen on merging other project's jars into a single
>> monolithic jar. I think people expect that component-oriented
>> software is going to have various required and optional dependencies.
>>
>> I feel that monolithic jar bundling is more appropriate for an
>> application, rather than for a component.
>
> I agree, but I know that others disagree, and I don't see any
> reason why
> one is necessarily more right than another. The cost to us of having a
> separate jar / distro seems low, and if it helps with adoption, I
> don't
> see a downside.

I think that it does help adoption, and I don't see a downside either.

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey