From: openEHR-clinical <openehr-clinical-boun...@lists.openehr.org> On Behalf
Of Bert Verhees
Sent: Wednesday, 27 June 2018 12:17 AM
To: Stefan Sauermann <sauerm...@technikum-wien.at>; For openEHR clinical
discussions <openehr-clinical@lists.openehr.org>
Subject: Re: Machine Learning , some thoughts

On 26-06-18 14:35, Stefan Sauermann wrote:
> Dear Bert, all!
> Sorry if this consumes excess bandwith, feel free to delete.
>
> The case you describe clearly provides a sound reason why "generic
> archetypes will remain necessary".
> I agree completely. This use case must always be satisfied.
> It does not include automated processing at the receiving end. The
> receiving party must read the information and decide what to do, using
> their human brain cells, no 100% reliable computer aided decision
> support (as in medical devices).
>
> In this use case, I see no difference between:
> - transmitting information within a "generic archetype"
> - transmitting the same information in unstructured free text.
>
> Both technologies provide a useful solution for the use case.
>  - So (in my humble view) this specific use case does not demand a
> "generic archetype". In other words, it needs no archetype at all.
Just a few days ago I heard about Google scanning a great number of files of
all kind and format, searching for medical information. The results were quite
remarkable.

https://www.healthdatamanagement.com/articles/google-continues-work-to-use-machines-for-health-analytics

But unstructured information is not what I am aiming for.

There will be some semantics.
A clinician can indicate that data are from the user story, or from the
observation, so, that is already some information.
While talking with the patient, the doctor can measure heartbeat,
bloodpressure, saturation, temperature, bloodsugar, even almost without
touching de patient. It will be more soon.
Development goes so fast.
And patients can also measure data at home, or at work, or wherever.
Context is also location, patient personal data, time of the day, jet-lag,
season of the year, weather conditions, other medical conditions, alcohol
consumption, social status

Most of these data are not regarded as relevant in the actual medical
condition. So archetypes do not have items for this.

There are two kind of medical data.
a) Medical data which are relevant in the context of a specific medical
condition.
b) Medical data of which the relevancy is not yet known in the context of a
medical condition, or another medical condition, which maybe is also not known
at the moment.

The data of the second kind are also medical data, so why not store them?

Karsten yesterday said, a person at the doctor should be more then a medical
complaint. I agree with that. But the current medical practice is not like that.
You go to the doctor with a medical complaint, and you talk about that, the
doctor does research in that context, and the software finds some archetypes
which fit to that.

But the person should be seen as more then a medical complaint, but as a
complex of conditions and lifestyle.
We need generic archetypes which can store machine generated datasets to store
information about the whole person, instead of only the medical condition which
is subject of conversation.

I believe I am the only person in this list who thinks like that. But that does
not matter.

Have a nice day
Bert