gfrer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The examples I provided were those that I could think of.
>
> The real question to be asked is:
> Why would we want to record the 'language' of a text fragment?
> The only correct answer will be:
> Because of computational reasons.
>
> In the light of this there is no real use case for this attribute in
> question other than to indicate in what language the author is
> documenting its provision of healthcare.
> Coding systems will have to be used to indicate in an 'absolute' sense
> the meaning of things in a computational and language independent way.

I agree about the use of codes; but when we have narrative text which is
not coded, the meaning could be ambiguous for human readers, and also
natural language processors, if not more mundane computing functions. I
can imagine that this might be more important in psychiatry or other
disciplines where a lot of narrative is generated.

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org