Dear All,

The proposal being discussed necessitates that THERE BE NO REQUIREMENT
FOR a Composition (or maybe an Entry) to internally formally specify
the language used for a textual expression, to differentiate it from
the language applying to the Composition/Entry as a whole. This ought
not to be determined by storage concerns, but on the basis of the
requirement. If we cannot be confident that there is no need, we ought
not to remove the present functionality which permits it.

When considering this issue the scenarios that come most to my mind are
genuinely multi-lingual cultures or contexts. In some countries more
than one language prevails, and health care professionals might be
proficient in more than one of these. In such situations, the health
care agent might have a principal language for record-keeping and an
ability and a wish to capture some aspects of the consultation in a
patient's own (different) language, such as a symptom description. The
HCA might also wish to compose some patient instructions in the
patient's own language knowing, perhaps, that the patient can go home
and view this EHR on their own computer. Although London is not
officially a multi-lingual city, I was working in east London with
Bengali-speaking health workers to pilot such schemes (using
multi-lingual paper based records) several years ago.

Since we do permit pre-existing EHR information (e.g. an Entry) to be
included as a referenced copy in a new Composition, there might also
arise a situation when the information so included was recorded in
another language.

One question raised in discussions so far is if we need to formally
specify the language, or if it is obvious and can be inferred. For
words that have been absorbed from other languages (e.g. ,in English,
laissez faire) this might be true, but there is a risk that the same
word in two languages has different meanings.  Torbjorn Nystadnes has
told me of one European example:

" Rolig "

Norwegian = quiet (calm, peaceful)
Swedish  = funny

in Norway: He died 'rolig' = he died peacefully
in Sweden: you can imagine!!

Whilst natural language translation facilities are still limited, you
might feel it is OK to reply upon human "common sense" in such
situations. But when records really are travelling across the globe,
and such translation software is mature, will we have prevented a
valuable aid to safe health care?

A second concern that comes to mind, maybe erroneously, relates to
applications and EHR systems that are used across national boundaries.
For example, an English-language application being used in France.
Consider perhaps that the form labels have been translated into French
but not the underling code. Might some attribute values such as the
Name be committed to the EHR in English (determined by the form field
being used, and as encoded by the app developer, and not a Name value
chosen by a French user) and the textual value of that box (written by
the user in French). If the language attribute is removed from the
DV_TEXT class can we still represent an Element whose Name (or some
other attribute value) is in English but whose textual Data Value is in
French?

A third concern is interoperability. Since both CEN and HL7 presently
carry language as part of textual data types, is it going to be
unhelpful for us to do this differently? i.e will we ALWAYS be able to
map safely between the proposed modification to openEHR and CEN/HL7? I
am not great champion for gratuitously identical behaviour, but we do
also need to help bring interoperable EHRs into existence despite all
of the business drivers to the contrary!

So, are we confident that we can remove this function from lower levels
of the model?

With best wishes,

Dipak
Dr Dipak Kalra
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Health Informatics
CHIME, University College London
Holborn Union Building, Highgate Hill, London N19 5LW
Direct Line: +44-20-7288-3362
Fax: +44-20-7288-3322
Web site: http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org