Thomas Beale wrote:
> Tim Churches wrote:
>

>> Yes, I thought of examples which were similar to these. And it is not
>> just a matter of the recording health professional not knowing what
>> "Engelse ziekte" means, and thus having to record to verbatim and
>> untranslated - many diagnoses have no equivalent in other
>> languages/cultures, and are thus untranslatable (at least not without
>> some information loss).
>>
> actually, these kinds of expressions are not the problem - they can
> happily be recorded inside a DV_TEXT object which has the language set
> to English or Dutch or whatever it may be; an inline occurrence of a
> 'foreign' term that is routinely used by speakers of a different
> language (the way we use 'gesundheit' or 'triage' in english) can be
> assumed to be understood and is probably even in the dictionary of the
> language of narration.
>
> The problem is when there are text fragments recorded where the words
> are viable in more than one language, and do not usually have the same
> meaning in each. Words in Danish & Norwegian should be almost the same,
> but I assume there are by now some small differences; there are
> certainly words in most of the European languages which occur in another
> language, and are completely unrelated. So in theory a language marker
> is needed to ensure that a later reader knows what language the words
> were in (maybe even to allow them to know what kind of translator to
> call). So the question remains - do we need the ability to have multiple
> languages inside a single entry? For Gerard's examples - would it really
> be necessary to indicate what the other languages were or not, given
> that they are probably obvious to most users who will use them?

You might also consider the false-friend problem - when learning another
language we optimistically expect words to mean the same as they do in
our native tongue.  FOr example I was surprised that "water" in Italian
means W.C. not acqua!

--
Gavin Brelstaff - BioMedical Area, CRS4 in Sardinia
Loc. Pixina Manna Edificio 1,
please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org