Hi Ian, others

We've had a bit of discussion on this at Medinfo and that you pointed to
separation of pure GUI stuff from others where there is an inherent
relationship with the semantics and structure of information - fully agree.
The question is how to do that and when; i.e. the process. I think the time is
just about right as implementations start and progress rapidly. As to how I
think having these discussions is a great start. But it'd be great if someone
from the core group 'owns' this thread and puts some pressure on us.

As Ian pointed out we have some 10 directives, which turned out to be all
generic (i.e. not specific to our endoscopy application) which is great. The
isCoreConcept directive really is a special one which deeply involves semantics
and structure of the clinical information being modelled. Rest of the
directives are not so much like this but there is an obvious need to separate.
The mantra of openEHR modelling says that anything that has to do with
structure and semantics goes into clinical models. Then which models? I think
we must first make clear what we are talking about: out of models or within
models and then Archetypes or Templates.

For us this was a no brainer because I think ALL pure GUI stuff should go to
Templates. I have explained my reasoning in a previous message but shortly
archetypes and templates are all about information capture and validation (i.e.
which data items, their organisation, and basic constraints for validation).
Real world semantics are delegated to terminology (i.e. heart murmur IS-A
symptom of heart disease or cardia is PART-OF stomach etc). I think we need to
keep archetypes fairly pure and generic with large scale interoperability in
mind. However templates provide all the convenience needed otherwise.

I strongly believe we do_not_need another layer of modelling for GUI because
referring back to my definition of clinical models, these are to do with
information capture and validation...And that's what GUI is tightly coupled
with this. Our models are designed for change; indeed this is the very reason
we split into multi-levels. So maintaining two different models serving similar
purposes is not good modelling design I think. At least that wouldn't work for
us with >3000 lines of ADL plus 9 language translations x 10 archetypes and
many others...The mode of change has to be together; that is when I am making a
change to an archetype or template I must immediately take care of its GUI
behaviour.

That said, returning back to Ian's suggestion, other directives should probably
be incorporated into templates and really hard ones into archetypes. For
example we need some means to depict whether a clinical finding (aka core
concept) is present or not I had to introduce an extra ELEMENT to each and
every node of my MST archetypes. The flavours of null on ELEMENT is not
sufficient for that and after all it has to be depicted at CLUSTER level.
CoreConcept is also another one, perhaps need an abstract ITEM over CLUSTER and
ELEMENT just to provide that semantics. We have studied this core concept stuff
in detail and I also have substantial amount of practical experience on this. I
must say that we drew the line by referring to Astrid van Ginneken's work -
openSDE (from Erasmus Univ). There are REALLY good GUI related stuff there
which openEHR can benefit - I have been saying this for long! The key phrase is
whether you can talk about absence of something or not - if you can then it is
a core concept which needs special attention in modelling.

http://opensde.sourceforge.net/

Here is the link to our original paper on the GUI Directives and how we
implemented:
http://openehr.org/wiki/download/attachments/18513934/Atalag_HINZ2010-Paper.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1291667587000

This is also another recent paper came out of the same study which mentions
about implementation strategy including GUI stuff:
http://openehr.org/wiki/download/attachments/18513934/Atalag_1_5.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1291667587000

Hope stimulates more discussions...

Greetings from Auckland :)

-koray