2011/12/16 Erik Sundvall <erik.sundvall at liu.se>

> If so, why do you want to turn the 13606/openEHR into something
> "healthcare a-specific"? Wouldn't that be an enormous deviation from
> the current 13606 thinking and purpose? Was not 13606 intended exactly
> for healthcare?

Well, in fact current EN13606 RM is nearly healthcare independent, except
the "EHR_EXTRACT" class name, the attributes "ehr_system", "ehr_id",
"subject_of_care" and "healthcare_facility" and the demographic model. The
class and attribute names can be easily changed to drop the EHR part and
for the demographic package I think that the one of openEHR is much better
and, in fact, it is already healthcare independent.

In any case, this generic design is a result of the current scope of 13606:
EHR exchange and not a complete EHR implementation specification. From our
experience, interoperability between legacy systems (standard-based or not)
is much easier using a generic model for exchange. The harsh truth is that
the quality of the data and the design of information structures in
existing EHR systems is quite bad or unclear, thus making really
complicated the process of automatically transforming it to a very specific
reference model. This is not the case when we use 13606.

A different thing is if 13606 scope changes during the revision. In that
case, I agree that reducing layers of modelling by introducing specific
classes will make the systems more efficient.

David
--
David Moner Cano
Grupo de Inform?tica Biom?dica - IBIME

Universidad Polit?cnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3? planta
Valencia ? 46022 (Espa?a)