Hi Ivar,

I'm not sure the situation is quite as clear-cut, in that I donlt
think there is necessarilly a simple distinction between primary data
which should normally be query-accessible and in-line vs. secondary
data which is normally query-inaccessible and referenced.

A few scenarios

1. Vital signs event - easy!! Primary, in-line and accessible

2. Diagnosis event. Primary, in-line but depending on whether a
secondary problem list is maintained, you may not want to use these
original diagnoses events for decision support.

3. Problem summary. Secondary and definitely need to be
query-accessible, but may be in-line or referenced depending on
implementation.

4. Discharge summary. Mostly secondary but may introduce new primary
content and again, whether the content is in-lie or referenced is to
some extent an implementation decision. DIPS have decided to use
referencing, others do not.

5. End of Life Summary. The critical aspects of this document are
primary e.g Resuscitation wishes but other aspects are secondary
(though and may be in-line or referenced.

I think the points raised are valid but we may need to tease out
several axes here.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859