Hi again,

I've been snowed under for a while and just now catching up with this...I
reckon there was a suggestion that we do not include SNOMED codes within
archetypes, or more specifically post-coordinated expressions, if I understand
correctly but to define these somewhere else and then include the external URI
instead. While this would be a good solution for well-defined expressions,
subsets etc. I think if you think about the vast amount of potential
expressions with almost endless permutations of terms it quickly becomes too
complex and unmanageable. Therefore there will always need for including
specific expressions within archetypes and templates.

I've been doing a lot of terminology bindings using various ontologies and
terminology lately and I think we need urgently a consistent way to make these
bindings and get the tools support it. For example when term bindings (for the
purpose of defining real-world meaning of a node) are done at archetype level
you end up with local at codes that refer to each binding and then it is
possible to link one or more terms from same or different terminology systems.
For the purpose of providing a valueset to a DV_CODED_TEXT at archetype level
we don't have a very clear way - we keep on saying we'll put a terminology
query but it is not really usable or useful. Tooling support is also not
satisfactory. But when you do that at template level (e.g. define a valueset
for a DV_TEXT by further constraining it to DV_CODED_TEXT or an existing
DV_CODED_TEXT) it is just a list of terms, code and terminology system with
version/release. It is not clear how we can refer to an external list defined
by a terminology query or refset - at least I couldn't figure out. There's
quite an inconsistency between archetype vs template defined valuesets within
.opt - whereas they should be defined in the same way and share same semantics.

I don't know how to fix it - my guess is that this is not a commonly used
feature so it was never a high priority for SEC group. I think it is time to
bring loose ends together as more and more countries adopt SNOMED and there is
clear pressure to do this.  FHIR terminology service is quite good and I think
we should just start using it. If we need further bells and whistles it can be
extended.

Cheers,

-koray