One thing I have noticed in recent systems in Brazil I looked at is that the codes are locally defined (e.g. SIGTAP, a Brazilian vocabulary for procedures) and almost all pre-coordinations of the most unscientific kind (with terms of the form 'cholecystectomy performed at private or military clinic'). Initially, it looks like a lost cause, but in fact SIGTAP only has (from memory) < 5000 terms, and there are ways of dealing with it. The Read codes in the UK were more scientific, but still contained many weird pre-coordinations (the famous example being 'hit by falling space junk while riding a bicycle'), but was also only O(10k) in size.

So the 'size of the problem' is often inversely proportional to its awfulness, when talking about legacy terminology use, and this is what makes it possible to do something about it.

The fact is, many old systems just couldn't express that many things.

- thomas