Thomas,

If I had to sum up the debate, I would write something like:

- pre-coordination is necessary for legacy systems that stick to coding
systems and didn't make the move to more elaborated representation of
information,
- pre-coordination's drawback is that expressing sentences as concepts
will mechanically lead to an explosion of the list of concept unless the
scope/audience remains small enough so that it ends up reaching an
asymptote that can be dealt with,
- considering SNOMED's ambitions (worldwide, large scope), we can
reasonably doubt that such asymptote exists.

Philippe