On Monday 10 June 2013 14:46:57 John Stirling wrote:
> Looking fairly promising so far. Image size down from 280Mb to 90Mb and
> only Qt related stuff now seems to be in /usr/lib/
>
> The font's seem to be missing though -
> QFontDatabase: Cannot find font directory /usr/lib/fonts - is Qt installed
> correctly?
> We won't need all the fonts in any case but would you expect them to have
> been pulled in automatically ?

Right, for Qt/E if you are displaying any text you'll need to explicitly
install the package for this since nothing depends upon it. You can install
the qt4-embedded-fonts package which brings in all fonts that are distributed
with Qt, or alternatively you can install only the fonts you want (qt4-
embedded-fonts-ttf-vera, etc.)

> Pretty sure I need the first 3, but not sure about the rest. Does that look
> about right to you size wise ? We're just trying to tie down flash sizes at
> the moment and want to get a fairly accurate estimate for Qt.

This looks reasonable to me. Note however if you start changing some of the
build-time configuration options for Qt you may be able to disable a few things
you don't need. Have a look at Qt's configuration options [1]. You can see
exactly which options are being used to build Qt with:

bitbake -e | grep "^QT_CONFIG_FLAGS="

If you search for QT_CONFIG_FLAGS under meta/recipes-qt/qt4/ you'll see how
this variable gets set.

> I guess also at some point we might want to switch to Qt5. Is that
> comparable in size ?

Not sure I'm afraid, although I believe it is more modular so in theory you
should be able to cut out more pieces you don't need.

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/configure-options.html

--