Thanks Paul. Fonts all ok now.

For the benefit of anyone else listening here's what I ended up with

IMAGE_INSTALL += " \
  qt4-embedded-fonts-ttf-vera \
  qtui \
  "

ttf-vera fonts are about 500k in total, but could be cut down to ~100k in
my case as I don't really need italics (eg just use Vera.ttf and VeraBd.ttf)

Qt libraries were about 25Mb in total which I expect could be reduced a
bit, but think I have enough information for now.