On Friday 24 March 2006 05:27 pm, Richard Schilling wrote:
> Rod Roark wrote:
> > Nobody is going to pay thousands of dollars for certification of
> > free software -- not to mention that such software by its nature will
> > be continually evolving and so quickly rendering any given
> > certification obsolete.
>
> And why not? I'm not being flippant.  It's a serious question.  What's
> wrong with doing that?  What's wrong with going to the expense to show
> that your open source product meets the same quality controls as the big
> vendor products?

It's not MY open source product.  It's not even a product.  See below
for more about that.  And I would not say that anyone would be "wrong"
for doing it.  I am just saying that nobody WILL do it.

> If open souce leads to a viable business model, the money will be there.

The point is, open source (as in Free Software) is NOT a business
model.  It's a method and end result of collaboration among users.
I make good money at it only because some of those users are willing
to pay me to do the techie work for them.

I repeat: NOBODY will pay thousands for certification of Free
Software.  They will use it because they already believe in it.

-- Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

Yahoo! Groups Links