On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Jeff Martin <j...@reportmill.com> wrote:
> My thought is that JavaFX is perfect for an IDE targeted to education, like
> Greenfoot and BlueJ:
>
>         SnapCode: SnapCode is the first and only pure JavaFX IDE
>         YouTube Overview: SnapCode JavaFX Overview
>
> SnapCode has visual code editing ("Snap-coding"), a sprite kit,
> graphics/sound editing, a runtime browser/player with animated transitions
> and more. It also has most of the features you expect in a modern IDE.
> Hopefully this is a great way to attract a new generation of developers and
> bring JavaFX to all Java developers.
>
> What it doesn't have is very much in the way of resources. If anyone wants to
> help, let me know. If Oracle would like to kick in an engineer or a few
> dollars, I wouldn't turn that away either.
>
> We need something like a "JavaFX Playground" before Apple Swift-boat's us. :-)

I have to say I passionately disagree here. Of course, everyone has
different requirements/expectations. I am currently looking at JavaFX
as a candidate technology for commercial products in a market where
people are used to native applications. So far, I think JavaFX, from a
developer point of view, is great and the dedication of the dev team
and the transparency of the dev process are outstanding but it still
suffers from maturity problems that usually go away after a lot of
serious applications have been thrown at it, not by another Ensemble
or educational tool. Even big finance or medical or system management
applications may not be a good enough test for some areas because
their users are typically more forgiving in certain areas than e.g. a
photographer or designer using their favourite photo organisation tool
on a Mac but of course, every application helps and Netbeans is so
huge that porting it would probably result in a number of new Jira
issues making the platform better and, as I wrote, I thought with the
Swing API no longer being developed, it would either have to die or be
ported anyway.

BTW, is there any directory of (commercial) JFX applications anyone is aware of?