From:   Jeff Martin <j...@reportmill.com>
To:     Felix Bembrick <felix.bembr...@gmail.com>,
Cc:     "openjfx-dev@openjdk.java.net List" <openjfx-dev@openjdk.java.net>
Date:   11/14/2014 09:25 AM
Subject:        Re: What Scene Builder needs YESTERDAY!
Sent by:        "openjfx-dev" <openjfx-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net>

I think this was true back when Java was a contender for browser graphics.
It’s clear now that Java in the browser, and even Flash, are going away.
Now I think the best opportunity for JavaFX is for rich, cross-platform,
non-browser apps - which really means desktop enterprise apps. Very
limiting - until JavaFX has a mobile story. For this I think JavaFX needs
an application like Microsoft Access or Oracle ADF as opposed to a
FlashDesigner app (though that wouldn’t hurt).

Having a top-teir mobile story is really the only hope to have JavaFX go
mainstream. It would be nice if Oracle would buy RoboVM. :-)

jeff

On Nov 13, 2014, at 9:34 PM, Felix Bembrick <felix.bembr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Java applets were the first "programs" to run inside a web browser and
for
> a (little) while they were flavour of the month.
>
> But then along came Flash which had several advantages such as faster
load
> times, consistent loads and antialiased fonts/graphics and soon
completely
> surpassed applets.
>
> But the MAIN reason why Flash was initially so successful and went on
for
> years and years of domination is that the Flash tools had an
> Animation/Timeline Editor pretty much from the beginning.  This enabled
> even a novice to drag images around and draw the path they wanted them
> move along, add all sorts of bouncing effects and sounds and the result
was
> the birth of the online greeting card company.
>
> But Flash soon went on to be so much more.  As the Adobe tools improved,
so
> did the SWFs and soon entire websites were written in Flash.
>
> Meanwhile, applet programmers had absolutely nothing remotely similar
and
> had to try (and I stress try) to tediously hand code any animations and
> transitions and effects and I don't think it ever worked.
>
> Fast forward 15-20 years and now we have JavaFX which doesn't need to
run
> in the browser, has even more features than Flash, uses hardware
> acceleration for superior performance, has a wide range of built-in
> animations, transitions and effects but STILL we have to hand code any
> animation/transitions.
>
> This is INCREDIBLY inefficient and unless Scene Builder incorporates a
> powerful, sophisticated animation/transition and effect editor VERY,
VERY
> SOON I fear that the advanced graphics features are never going to be
used
> to their full potential (much to the detriment of JavaFX itself).
>
> Does anyone know if one is in the pipeline?  I see this as one of the
most
> vital features for the JavaFX ecosystem to achieve more penetration and,
> eventually, survive.
>
> Felix

NOTICE from Ab Initio: This email (including any attachments) may contain
information that is subject to confidentiality obligations or is legally
privileged, and sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. If
received in error, please notify the sender, delete this email, and make
no further use, disclosure, or distribution.