On Dec 3, 2007 2:12 PM, Brian Utterback <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shawn Walker wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2007 12:20 PM, Patrick Ale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Is Sun even sure it's self what will do what and what will replace what? I
> >> just get an email from somebody of this list saying Indiana will replace
> >> SXCE and will be the basis for Solaris 11. Which is ff-ing funny since
> >> people who work at Sun (and highly placed functions) assured me less than
> >> four weeks ago that SXCE would stay around, that they needed the community
> >> to do what they are doing now and how they cant do things with out them and
> >> that SXCE would be the basis for Solaris 11 and Indiana was merrely a
> >> product derived from SXCE.
> >
> > It is true according to other high ranking folks at Sun. The plan is
> > to eventually phase out SXCE and replace it with Indiana according to
> > them.
> >
> > This was discussed at the OpenSolaris Developer's Summit.
> >

> There was some confusion internally, but I believe that it has been
> resolved. SXCE is not going away any time soon. It serves several
> functions, one of which is as a beta test version of the next
> Solaris release. As long as the next marketing release of Solaris
> contains proprietary bits (i.e. the closed branch) that Sun wants
> to be available for testing, then SXCE must continue.

There must still be confusion then.  The proprietary bits part makes
sense, but I expect SXCE at least to become a derivative of Indiana
eventually then considering it wouldn't make great financial and
resource sense to duplicate efforts (I suspect anyway).

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben