JFYI, when updating our package from 0.9.6c to 0.9.6d I've noticed
that the new shared libcrypto library doesn't work anymore.  The
openssl(1) binary wouldn't recognize any of the block ciphers.  I
tracked this down to the addition of -Wl,-Bsymbolic.  Removing that
option solved the problem for us.

GNU ld version 2.10.91 (with BFD 2.10.1.0.4)
  Supported emulations:
   elf_i386
   i386linux

Also 0.9.6d would tend to recompile some previously built files during
the "make install" stage, resulting in static linking of openssl(1)
(which is undesired in our case).  I didn't investigate this too deeply
but rather applied the following workaround for now:

touch now
find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 touch -r now

-- right after unpacking the original tarball (before any patches are
applied or anything is built).  That helped.

--
/sd