[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Sun May 12 22:48:56 2002]:

> JFYI, when updating our package from 0.9.6c to 0.9.6d I've noticed
> that the new shared libcrypto library doesn't work anymore.  The
> openssl(1) binary wouldn't recognize any of the block ciphers.  I
> tracked this down to the addition of -Wl,-Bsymbolic.  Removing that
> option solved the problem for us.

Hmm, if you, instead of removing that option, build and check the
resulting library with 'nm', what exactly do you get?  It's a
mystery to me why things should go wrong for you.

> Also 0.9.6d would tend to recompile some previously built files
during
> the "make install" stage, resulting in static linking of openssl(1)
> (which is undesired in our case).

The very simple reason is that there are aspects of the shared
library support that we haven't inserted in the 0.9.6 tree.
Therefore, the openssl application gets linked with the static
library, to be on the safe side.

0.9.7 is a different story.

About the -Wl,-Bsymbolic problem, have you tried downloading a
recent 0.9.6 snapshot and checked that the problem is still present?

--
Richard Levitte