[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Sun May 12 22:48:56 2002]:

> JFYI, when updating our package from 0.9.6c to 0.9.6d I've noticed
> that the new shared libcrypto library doesn't work anymore.  The
> openssl(1) binary wouldn't recognize any of the block ciphers.  I
> tracked this down to the addition of -Wl,-Bsymbolic.  Removing that
> option solved the problem for us.

This option has only recently been added.
The comment in the commitlog says:

Make shared libraries resolve global symbols within themselves first.
Currently only on GNUish linkers...
Submitted by Steven Bade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The issue was raised with respect to integration of a soft token
using OpenSSL into iPlanet.