In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:55:26
+0100 (MET), "Solar Designer via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

rt> * Wed Sep 25 2002 Solar Designer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
rt> - Don't do an explicit "make build-shared", it's not needed and could only
rt> cause harm (link libssl against libcrypto statically), but luckily didn't;
rt> pointed out by Dmitry V. Levin of ALT Linux.

Oh, you ran build-shared directly?  OK, I can't exactly say what the
results should have been, but I can't see anything good coming out of
that.  That target was never meant to be called directly.  Perhaps I
should have written some kind of warning to that effect.

rt> Basically, with 0.9.6d we used to do:
rt>
rt> # Check these against the DIRS= line and "all" target in top-level Makefile
rt> # when updating to a new version of OpenSSL; with 0.9.6d the Makefile says:
rt> # DIRS= crypto ssl rsaref $(SHLIB_MARK) apps test tools
rt> # all: clean-shared Makefile.ssl sub_all
rt> make Makefile.ssl
rt> make sub_all DIRS="crypto ssl rsaref"
rt> make build-shared
rt> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` make sub_all DIRS="apps test tools"
rt>
rt> Now this has changed to:
rt>
rt> # Check these against the DIRS= line and "all" target in top-level Makefile
rt> # when updating to a new version of OpenSSL; with 0.9.6g the Makefile says:
rt> # DIRS= crypto ssl rsaref $(SHLIB_MARK) apps test tools
rt> # all: clean-shared Makefile.ssl sub_all
rt> make Makefile.ssl
rt> make sub_all DIRS="crypto ssl rsaref"
rt> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` make sub_all DIRS="apps test tools"

You do know, don't you, that you really have no need for rsaref any
more?

Anyhow, I will now consider this ticket resolved.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.