On 4/9/2018 1:00 PM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
Hopefully this flow means we can do rebuild root filesystem from
snapshot/backup too? It seems rather artificially limiting to only do
restore-from-image. I'd expect restore-from-snap to be a more common
use case, personally.

Hmm, now you've got me thinking about image-defined block device mappings, which is something you'd have if you snapshot a volume-backed instance and then later use that image snapshot, which has metadata about the volume snapshot in it, to later create (or rebuild?) a server.

Tempest has a scenario test for the boot from volume case here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/555495/

I should note that even if you did snapshot a volume-backed server and then used that image to rebuild another non-volume-backed server, nova won't even look at the block_device_mapping_v2 metadata in the snapshot image during rebuild, it doesn't treat it like boot from volume does where nova uses the image-defined BDM to create a new volume-backed instance.

And now that I've said that, I wonder if people would expect the same semantics for rebuild as boot from volume with those types of images...it makes my head hurt. Maybe mdbooth would like to weigh in on this given he's present in this thread.

Matt