On 4/6/2018 5:09 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
I think you're talking at cross purposes here: this won't require a
swap volume. Apart from anything else, swap volume only works on an
attached volume, and as previously discussed Nova will detach and
re-attach.

Gorka, the Nova api Matt is referring to is called volume update
externally. It's the operation required for live migrating an attached
volume between backends. It's called swap volume internally in Nova.

Yeah I was hoping we were just having a misunderstanding of what 'swap volume' in nova is, which is the blockRebase for an already attached volume to the guest, called from cinder during a volume retype or migration.

As for the re-image thing, nova would be detaching the volume from the guest prior to calling the new cinder re-image API, and then re-attach to the guest afterward - similar to how shelve and unshelve work, and for that matter how rebuild works today with non-root volumes.

Matt