Le 05/09/2014 01:26, Jay Pipes a écrit :
On 09/04/2014 10:33 AM, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
Basically +1 with what Daniel is saying (note that, as mentioned, a
side effect of our effort to split out the scheduler will help but
not solve this problem).

The difference between Dan's proposal and the Gantt split is that Dan's proposal features quite prominently the following:

== begin ==

 - The nova/virt/driver.py class would need to be much better
   specified. All parameters / return values which are opaque dicts
   must be replaced with objects + attributes. Completion of the
   objectification work is mandatory, so there is cleaner separation
   between virt driver impls & the rest of Nova.

== end ==

In other words, Dan's proposal above is EXACTLY what I've been saying needs to be done to the interfaces between nova-conductor, nova-compute, and nova-scheduler *before* any split of the scheduler code is even remotely feasible.

Splitting the scheduler out before this is done would actually not "help but not solve this problem" -- it would instead further the problem, IMO.

Jay, we agreed on a plan to carry on, please be sure we're working on it, see the Gantt meetings logs for what my vision is.

That said, I think this concern of clean interfaces also applies to this thread: if we want to spin off the virt drivers out of Nova git repo, that does requires a cleanup on the interfaces, in particular on the compute manager and the resource tracker, where a lot of bits are still strongly tied and not versionified (thanks to JSON dicts).

So, this effort requires at least one cycle, and as Dan stated, there is urgency, so I think we need to identify a short-term solution which doesn't require refactoring. My personal opinion is what Russell and Thierry expressed, ie. subteam delegation (to what I call "half-cores") for iterations and only approvals for cores.

-Sylvain

Best,
-jay