On 01/13/2015 11:16 PM, Tomasz Napierala wrote:

On 13 Jan 2015, at 10:51, Przemyslaw Kaminski <pkamin...@mirantis.com> wrote:

For example

https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/

"All official maintenance for Python 2.6, including security patches,
has ended."

https://hg.python.org/cpython/raw-file/v2.7.9/Misc/NEWS

Especially the SSL stuff is interesting

http://bugs.python.org/issue22935

This looks like final word here. We cannot provide software, that has no
security support.

Regards,

I can hardly see it as a justification for maintaining yet another package on our own while Red Hat is supposed to provide backports of security fixes to python 2.6 until 2020.

I wanted to hear exact use cases of 2.7 features that allow us to accomplish things easier than it is now with 2.6. As Doug already said, clients and Oslo libraries will maintain compatibility with 2.6. So what is the real gain?

Regards,
Bartłomiej