On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:53:24PM +0100, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
> + Inf for writing this Flavio!

Absolutely! I never even knew such things existed in this community.

> Only some observations below.

[. . .]

> > ## Mailing List vs IRC Channel
> >
> > I get it, our mailing list is freaking busy, keeping up with it is
> > hard and time consuming and that leads to lots of IRC discussions. I
> > don't think there's anything wrong with that but I believe it's wrong
> > to expect *EVERYONE* to be in the IRC channel when those discussions
> > happen.
> >
> > If you are discussing something on IRC that requires the attention of
> > most of your project's community, I highly recommend you to use the
> > mailing list as oppose to pinging everyone independently and fighting
> > with time zones. Using IRC bouncers as a replacement for something
> > that should go to the mailing list is absurd. Please, use the mailing
> > list and don't be afraid of having a bigger community chiming in in
> > your discussion.  *THAT'S A GOOD THING*
> >
> > Changes, specs, APIs, etc. Everything is good for the mailing list.
> > We've fought hard to make this community grow, why shouldn't we take
> > advantage of it?
> >

> I think the above 2 are somewhat intertwined with another trend in the
> community I've personally noticed towards the end of the Juno cycle,
> that I also strongly believe needs to DIAFF.
>
> An idea that it is possible to "manage" and open source community using
> similar methods that are commonly used for managing subordinates in a
> corporate hierarchy.

That intention/notion to "let's manage the community like a team just as
we do at good old $company" should be absolutely demolished! People who
advocate such behavior are using ridiculously outdated brain models and
should drop what they're doing immediately and do some introspection.

--
/kashyap