On 22/09/16 10:09 -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
Flavio

Please see below:

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Flavio Percoco <fla...@redhat.com> wrote:
Greetings,

I've recently started looking into the container technologies around
OpenStack.
More specifically, I've been looking into the tools that allow for deploying
OpenStack on containers, which is what I'm the most interested in right now
as
part of the TripleO efforts.

I'm familiar with the Kolla project and the tools managed by this team. In
fact,
TripleO currently uses kolla images for the containerized nova-compute
deployment.

I am, however, looking beyond a docker based deployment. I'd like to explore
in
more depth a Kubernetes based deployment of OpenStack. I'm familiar with
both
kolla-kubernetes and fuel-ccp, their structure and direction*. Both projects
have now advanced a bit in their implementations and made some decisions.

As someone that started looking into this topic just recently, I'd love to
see
our communities collaborate more wherever possible. For example, it'd be
great
to see us working on a reference architecture for deploying OpenStack on
kubernetes, letting the implementation details aside for a bit. I'd assume
some
folks have done this already and I bet we can all learn more from it if we
work
on this together.

So, let me go ahead and ask some further questions here, I might be missing
some
history and/or context:

- Is there any public documentation that acts as a reference architecture
for
 deploying OpenStack on kubernetes?
- Is this something the architecture working group could help with? Or would
it
 be better to hijack one of kolla meetings?

The restult I'd love to see from this collaboration is a reference
architecture
explaining how OpenStack should be run on Kubernetes.

At this moment, fuel-ccp-* is an experiment, it's not under
governance, there is no expectation of any releases, there are no
specs or docs that i know of. So kolla/kolla-kubernetes is probably
the best accumulator of kubernetes knowledge specifically about
running openstack.

Note that tcpcloud folks may also have something, but haven't seen any
public information or reference architecture from them. Definitely
don't know of any plans from that team as well to open up and share.

Yeah, I know all of the above, which is why I said I don't really care about the
implementation detail of things. I think the knowledge the folks in fuel-ccp
have and the knowledge folks in the kolla team have could produce a base
knowledge for folks looking into deploying OpenStack on kubernetes.

It'd be great to see this happening and I'm sure teams would benefit from it
too.

Flavio

Thanks in advance. I look forward to see us collaborate more on this area,
Flavio

* thanks to all fuel and kolla contributors that helped me understand better
the
 work in each of these projects and the direction they are headed
.
--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco