Flavio,

Apologies for delay in response – my backlog is large.

Forgive me if I parsed your message incorrectly.  It came across to me as “How
do I blaze a trail for OpenStack on Kubernetes?”.  That was asked of me
personally 3 years ago which led to the formation of the Kolla project inside
Red Hat.  Our initial effort at that activity failed.  Instead we decided
kubernetes wasn’t ready for trailblazing in this space and used a far more
mature project (Ansible) to solve the “OpenStack in Containers” problems and
build from there.

We have since expanded our scope to re-solve the “How do I blaze a trail for
Openstack on Kubernetes?” question since Kubernetes is now ready for this sort
of trailblazing.  Fuel and several other folks decided to create derived works
of the Kolla community’s innovations in this area.  I would contend that Fuel
didn’t need to behave in such a way because the Kolla community is open,
friendly, mature, diversely affiliated, has a reasonable philosophy and good
set of principles as well as a strong leadership pipeline.

Rather than go blaze a trail when one already exists or create a derived work,
why not increase your footprint in Kolla instead?  Red Hat has invested in
Kolla for some time now, and their footprint hasn’t magically disappeared over
night.   We will give you what you want within reasonable boundaries (the
boundaries all open-source projects set of their contributors).  We also accept
more work than the typical OpenStack project might, so it’s not like you will
have to bring donuts into the office for every patch you merge into Kolla.

As to your more direct question of reference architecture, that is a totally
loaded term that I’ll leave untouched.

To answer your question of “Does Kolla have a set of best practices” the answer
is yes in kolla-ansible and kolla itself and strongly forming set of best
practices in kolla-kubernetes.

Regards
-steve