Nor should you, to be honest. You're trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Yes, you can get pretty far, but in the end, a user will get an email with a link, and will click on it and boom, their browser window with all your lovely javascript is now replaced. Or maybe the user gets sick of it all and decides to just close the browser, or browse to another site. Sure, you could define an onunload, but that makes it an uncomfortable user interface, because it's surprising the user and doing something unexpected.

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 05:55 PM, Lars Fischer wrote:

These are good arguments. But I still think you can never reach the same
functionality with a browser based app compared to 'traditional' (native)
clients.

IMO, if you want to create a web application that acts like a desktop
application, JavaScript is your best buddy. If you want to create a web
application that acts like a web site (click, wait, click, wait) then
don't
use it.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Fischer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 1:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [OS-webwork] Displaying a progress page

Lars, just out of curiosity, what is driving the requirement for not
supporting the complete browser model (no javascript)?

These are some of the reasons:

- some IT departments do not allow JavaScript (Active Scripting) for
security reasons
- my applications should work with the most common browsers (e. g. I use
Firebird
with JavaScript turned off) and there are big differences between
several
browsers so
it's not THE browser model
- I don't want to mix user interfaces with application logic

What do the others think about using JavaScript in J2EE applications ?
Is it 'allowed' ?

Cheers
Lars

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Cannon-Brookes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:33 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [OS-webwork] Displaying a progress page

Les,

You could do it using DHTML, but I'm fairly sure that's not how Expedia
do
it. It's a LOT more error prone to do that way :)

FWIW we're investigating creating a generic 'long running task' system
for
JIRA - used for tasks like reindexing and importing/exporting data which
take a long time. I think using a WW action this should be relatively
easy
to do.

Mike

On 26/6/03 10:13 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
penned the words:

I haven't actually done this yet (but am planning to) -- however,
can't
you take care of this behavior with dhtml?? It seems like you could
call a javascript function on submit that pulled a layer (actully
css-pos) to the top. That layer would say "in progress" with a pretty
animated gif or have some neat little javascript progress bar. The
javascript would then submit the form. When it's done, the browser
updates. This seems like it will work and is likely better than the
server side solutions. Is there something I'm missing?? BTW, I think
this is how expedia used to do it.

LES