All the official discussions I've seen on IRC so far, have had the channel
moderated and only the participants got the permissions to write.
Else you might and will get disturbed in multiple ways.
However it was me as well, who was asking Eric for a moderated discussion.

An alternative approach might be choosing another channel, e.g.
#openvpn-discussion or just continue on the -devel mailinglist.

Kind regards
Thomas