On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 05:23:06PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> - 802.1q support on the Ethernet

The switch chips in consumer access points come with some limitations,
you should check if they can meet your requrements:
- They only support a small number of vlans, a typical limit is 15.
- Their ports can only be configured to carry either a single untagged
  vlan, or a number of tagged vlans, but not both simultaneously.

> - Support für WPA2 Enterprise with an external RADIUS server
> - Support for RADIUS Attributes allowing the RADIUS server to specify
>   which VLAN a certain client should be mapped into after connecting to
>   the same SSID.

These are supported by OpenWrt/LEDE.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/wireless.security.8021x
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless#wpa_enterprise_access_point

> - Support for RADIUS Attributes telling the Accesspoint to disconnect
>   a user after a pre-defined amount of time.

I don't know about this one.

> When I tried to build my own OpenWRT for the last time, I failed
> miserably. Therefore, I would like to be able to use a pre-built
> OpenWRT image on the device. I believe this might influence the device
> selection since the image is probably going to be fairly large,
> influencing the need of flash size.

It is rarely necessary to build from source yourself.
You can use the Image Builder, which will download your choice of pre-built
binary packages (*.ipk) and combine them into a flashable image.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtain.firmware.generate
This will give most of the same benefits, such as optimal use of the
flash memory space through filesystem-level compression.

> A commercially available accesspoint with this feature set is going to
> be beyond 200 Euros, so I do have a bit of budget available to buy the
> hardware to run OpenWRT on, and I am talking about buying two or three
> of those. I do not need to go for an el cheapo accesspoint in the 30
> Euro range like Freifunk needs to, so I'm open for hardware suggestions.

The following article describes a development to improve wireless
network latency, which sounds very useful.
http://lwn.net/Articles/705884/
It will be available in the ath9k and ath10k drivers first.
This could be an argument to choose Atheros hardware supported by these
drivers.

I am currently looking for an accesspoint myself, preferably outdoor with
nondirectional antennas. I considered the Mikrotik routerboard wAP ac
(RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD), but I don't know if OpenWrt/LEDE will run on it.
Has anyone tried this yet, or can give an opinion?

> Can OpenWRT/LEDE do what I want it to do, RADIUS, WPA Enterprise and
> Multi-SSID and mapping-wise? Is there a nice front end to configure
> that, is it nicely documented or do I need to figure everything out
> myself?

There is a web frontend called LuCI which gives some guidance,
or you can use the command line tool "uci", which doesn't.

The config options are documented here:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless
or on the equivalent LEDE pages.

The config interfaces may not be as polished as in commercial offerings,
but they do the job. For me, the advantages of OpenWrt/LEDE more than
make up for some rough edges in the UI.

For an evaluation of the config frontends, you could also try out
OpenWrt/LEDE on x86 hardware, even on a virtual machine.

Regards,
Mirko