Even though neo4j is not "osgi-friendly" (what ever that means ;-) you can create abundle that embedds all that neo4j requires, add an Activator that starts up your db and provide a custom service to trigger "after-test-checks" in whatever way you need. In your test you can the collect the service to

a) make sure the db is up and running
b) fire your checks whenever needed