Carlos, all,

I'm confused by this bullet point:
•              next steps? E.g. WG coordination/status, form a WG Design Team,
call for a BOF?

Could you please clarify?

I understood there's no WG (and hence no WG coordination nor status), in favor
of the IAB Program. There cannot be a WG Design Team without a WG. I cannot
find "design team" or 'BOF" (WG forming or not?) in the minutes of eimpact
meetings<https://datatracker.ietf.org/program/eimpact/meetings/>, maybe I
missed it.

Is this an effort parallel to eimpact or a shadow meeting?

Since those were my words, maybe I should try to explain what they mean.

There are a number of us IETF participants, from a rather long list of
equipment providers as well as operators, that are working on solving very
concrete and current issues with respect to energy management in network
equipment. For example, we have noted that most devices can report their energy
and/or power usage, but they all do that in different ways and with different
precision. We see a real need to standardize this, in order to realize use
cases many operators are asking for, somewhat urgently.

In the bullet point above, the "WG coordination/status" intended to let
everyone chime in with the list of relevant ongoing work they were aware of. As
expected, we noted that the work we have in mind is currently spread out across
half a dozen IETF working groups, so it's not easy to track or get an overview.
The "form a WG Design Team" point meant to discuss the interest in the
formation of a design team in an existing WG, such as OPSAWG. Some WGs have
very wide charters, and therefore forming design teams around particular areas
might be an effective way to progress. The "call for a BOF" point was there to
gauge the interest in forming a new WG with a fairly narrow scope to progress
some of the work, especially around management aspects of network equipment,
such as common YANG modules or collection framework principles. Most people on
the side meeting seemed to favor a BOF as the best way to progress this work.
This conclusion or initiative is not coming out of IAB or E-impact.

In this thread, there was some discussion around energy aware routing (and
other protocol updates), and whether that would be a fruitful avenue for IETF
work. While I'm not precluding that from the agenda at some point in the
future, such topics have been absent from the discussions in any of the
existing WGs, as far as I have seen (well, maybe CATS, ALTO and TVR have
occasionally almost touched the subject), and certainly also in the design
teams/BOFs discussions I have participated in so far. The focus has been on
basic standardization of telemetry collection, metering and basic management
that pretty much all devices already do, just in vendor specific ways.

Best Regards,
/jan