Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the comments.  I’ve provided some comments (RW) inline …

From: Carlos Pignataro <cpign...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 25 March 2024 at 21:09
To: Rob Wilton (rwilton) <rwil...@cisco.com>
Cc: Marisol Palmero Amador (mpalmero) <mpalmero=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>,
Ops Area WG <opsawg@ietf.org>, E-Impact IETF <e-imp...@ietf.org>,
inventory-y...@ietf.org <inventory-y...@ietf.org>, Alexander Clemm
<a...@clemm.org>, Alberto Rodriguez-Natal (natal) <na...@cisco.com>, Ronald
Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net>, Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanand...@gmail.com>,
Ali Rezaki (Nokia) <ali.rez...@nokia.com>, Suresh Krishnan (sureshk)
<sure...@cisco.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.ar...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] side meeting #119: Power Metrics: concrete usage example
Hi, Rob,

Thanks for the comprehensive email, and for your desire to support the industry
towards improved energy efficiency!

RW: Great!  I think that at least our broader goals are aligned here, although
you seem to disagree on the particular path that I’m pushing for.  I’m hoping
that we can manage to get alignment, working towards the common good.

My first reaction is that this direction seems counter to and in conflict with
the conclusion and decisions from the IAB Program eimpact “interim” from just a
month before:
·         See Chair
Slides<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2024-eimpact-02/materials/slides-interim-2024-eimpact-02-sessa-chair-slides-01>,
 that codified: "Metrics – Push through the WGs” (etc. etc.)
·         See
Minutes<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2024-eimpact-02/materials/minutes-interim-2024-eimpact-02-202402161500-00>,
 that captured: "Suresh agreed and mentioned that the reason for having the
drafts here is that people to get higher level view since all working groups
need to have a sustainability angle"
RW: Sorry, I had a conflict and couldn’t attend the e-impact interim.  My
previous understanding was based on when this was discussed between the IESG
and IAB retreat last summer was that the IAB program was for more future
looking working, and incubating ideas that were not yet ready to be
standardized but any actual work would happen in IETF WGs.

A second thought is that, while on the surface getting a couple of document
with ‘green metrics’ is useful and might seem net-positive, knee-jerk reacting
on tactics misaligned with strategy can further fragment the Eimpact work
(which already can be characterized as ‘having a hard time finding itself’ with
work from 2022 and no output).

RW: Sorry, but I don’t really follow.  Why would standardizing metrics and
power controls now impact the overall strategy?  This is perhaps where I see
things quite differently.  I see this as a simple split between what we can
standardize now, relatively quickly, starting to reap the benefits now vs
spending a long time discussing what we plan to do before taking any action.

There are clear risks like (1) believing that metrics/models are the ultimate
goal of “eimpact/green’ work, while (as mentioned on eimpact) there’s no
analysis of the most useful focus area, and (2) forgetting what Suresh wrote
that many WGs need ‘green’, and this would separate work in a corner, as
opposed to embedding and integrating it.

RW: I don’t believe that metrics/models are the ultimate goal at all, but they
do seem like a useful first step.  Further, the purpose of this proposed WG
isn’t really to create new work, but to better corral the existing work that
folks are already trying to get started within the IETF now, and as I see it,
struggling to get traction.

A third thought is that we had asked for a (broader and more e-impactful) WG a
year ago, and that was shot down in favor of this IAB Program :-|

RW: When I was an AD, both in the previous side meetings and in the IESG/IAB
retreat I was also a vocal proponent for creating a WG, and yes, the agreement
at that time (9-10 months ago) that we should start with the IAB e-Impact
program, and that the work could proceed in existing WGs.  However, I’ve since
seen “green” related drafts being presented in OPSAWG, within IVY and it was on
the agenda for NETMOD.  I.e., it looks to me like there is work ready to
progress now but looking for a good home.  The issue here is that this work
isn’t obviously and clearly in charter for any of these WGs except maybe
OPSAWG.  IVY is meant to be specifically focussed on a base inventory YANG
model and should concentrating on that task until it is complete. Alas, one of
the downsides of OPSAWG is that it’s made up of different groups of individuals
working on their own topics and lacks the cohesiveness and collective direction
that a dedicate WG could provide.

Fourth, ‘green-bof’ is very very broad, while I understood your desired scope
to be narrow. This would eclipse eimpact as the shinny new ball, and would
potentially confuse people on where to participate (outside the lucky ones that
attended a side meeting)

RW: green-bof is just a list name.  I don’t really care what the BOF or WG is
called.  My intention is that the scope of the WG that I’m trying to create is
that it will be narrow to the work items that are achievable in the short term.
 Regarding participation, for me, I would suggest that interested folks may
wish to participate in both: E-impact for overall strategy and longer-term
considerations of how we should evolve our protocols.  The new WG for short
term focused work on green related work that is understood well enough and that
we can get standardized now, in the short term.

Fifth, and Lastly — frankly I was debating with myself whether to mention this
privately or not, but since you brought it up and opened the topic — another
issue. Backdrop: BOF and WG-forming suggestions were sent to /dev/null favoring
the IAB Program as the solution. What follows is a set of factual observations
and no judgement or intentionality attached to them. But there’s (1) cisco
proponents and cisco side-meeting organizer despite the eimpact interim, (2)
with a Cisco-only I-D [1], (3) a Cisco AD meeting with (4) a Cisco IAB Member,
in the (5) historically least attended meeting, and change direction 180
degrees… Again, no extrapolation or conclusion, but even from an appearance or
optics perspectives.

RW: Right, my drive for encouraging this work is not as Cisco employee, but was
as an AD, and as someone who feels that environment impact is a significant
issue to humanity and I would rather the IETF takes steps towards standardizing
something now in the short term (noting that it can always evolve over time)
than to spend 3 years having discussions before taking concrete action.

Because of the timing of the side meeting, the discussion didn’t really end up
being about particular drafts at all, but instead focused on what drafts
currently exist in this space.  My brief, very rough notes that I captured were:

Alex:
Green Networking Metrics OPSAWG
Data models could be derived
NMRG problem statement
Sustainability considerations

Luis:
APi for getting energy data from routers, SD WAN focus

Tony Li:
Traffic engineering, optimize across the network, greatest benefit is turning
off parts of network device rather than just reducing traffic.  YANG module to
disable links across the system.

Qin: + Carlos (BMWG draft currently):
Controlller level model, reporting and configuration, benchmark and test
invididual devices. Reference work from other SDOs

Marisol/Jan:
Sustainability insights doc
Telemetry philatelist. (collecting telemetry data in general + green metrics +
device level control
Power - Data model for devices, YANG based, or other protocols
Telemetry to TSDB mapping doc

RW: I.e., it seems to be me that there are multiple folk from different
companies who are all interested in directly working on this, and this is why I
suggested within that meeting that I thought that it would be helpful to target
a WG forming BOF, with a narrow charter to focus on the items achievable in the
short term.  My goal is to help connect these folks together and help give them
the tools to help succeed.  For me, the benefits of a dedicate WG are: (i)
Interested parties know where to go, and where to target their work, where to
have discussions (ii) Guaranteed dedicated agenda time rather than competing
with all other topics happening within these WGs.  (iii) an easy ability to
hold virtual-interims to progress this work more quickly.

Yes, I continue contributing in the industry and field to this topic, and I
would cautious you consider a bigger picture to see what approach(es) actually
help.

RW: Sorry, I still don’t follow.  Reporting power metrics off devices (to
management agents can get better current information about what the actual
power usage is), and the ability to selective disable ports, forwarding ASICs,
linecards, etc … seems like an obvious first step.  What is the bigger picture
that I’m missing here?

I hope and trust these are useful and clear,

RW: Sure.  I still believe that this is significant interest and energy to
target a WG forming BOF for IETF 120.  Perhaps, initially, you would be willing
to participate and help in that effort to scope what such a WG could look like?
 If, after we get into the details, you still believe that it is the wrong
path, or we can’t get consensus on what work we want to do then you can of
course drop out at any time, or indeed speak at the BOF (if it gets scheduled)
to indicate why you think that this isn’t the best path forward.  Does that
seem like a reasonable/pragmatic way forward?

Regards,
Rob

Best,

Carlos.

[1] I did not see a response to this:

RW: I’m not familiar with this draft/work, but I only see Cisco authors listed
currently.  But my understanding is that others have proposed similar drafts
leveraging similar ideas, e.g., draft-cwbgp-ivy-energy-saving-management-01,
that you are an author on, and which I also haven’t read …. However, it is also
worth noting that draft-cwbgp-ivy-energy-saving-management-01 is targeted at
the IVY WG, which I believe that is outside the scope of the current IVY WG
charter, at least until the core inventory YANG model is completed and the WG
recharters.

Poweff authors,

Is Poweff still a Cisco-only effort, as recorded in
https://youtu.be/m4vpThE5K9c?feature=shared&t=3534? Verbatim youtube transcript:
Many of the um products uh that we have uh mainly in Cisco right we are still
looking into multivendor and this will be really good for um the participants
to um provide feedback how this H um standardization of the data model might
impact in your network equipment but um

Thanks!

Carlos.