Hi, Rob,

Thanks for the comprehensive email, and for your desire to support the industry
towards improved energy efficiency!

My first reaction is that this direction seems counter to and in conflict with
the conclusion and decisions from the IAB Program eimpact “interim” from just a
month before:
See Chair Slides
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2024-eimpact-02/materials/slides-interim-2024-eimpact-02-sessa-chair-slides-01>,
 that codified: "Metrics – Push through the WGs” (etc. etc.)
See Minutes
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2024-eimpact-02/materials/minutes-interim-2024-eimpact-02-202402161500-00>,
 that captured: "Suresh agreed and mentioned that the reason for having the
drafts here is that people to get higher level view since all working groups
need to have a sustainability angle"

A second thought is that, while on the surface getting a couple of document
with ‘green metrics’ is useful and might seem net-positive, knee-jerk reacting
on tactics misaligned with strategy can further fragment the Eimpact work
(which already can be characterized as ‘having a hard time finding itself’ with
work from 2022 and no output).

There are clear risks like (1) believing that metrics/models are the ultimate
goal of “eimpact/green’ work, while (as mentioned on eimpact) there’s no
analysis of the most useful focus area, and (2) forgetting what Suresh wrote
that many WGs need ‘green’, and this would separate work in a corner, as
opposed to embedding and integrating it.

A third thought is that we had asked for a (broader and more e-impactful) WG a
year ago, and that was shot down in favor of this IAB Program :-|

Fourth, ‘green-bof’ is very very broad, while I understood your desired scope
to be narrow. This would eclipse eimpact as the shinny new ball, and would
potentially confuse people on where to participate (outside the lucky ones that
attended a side meeting)

Fifth, and Lastly — frankly I was debating with myself whether to mention this
privately or not, but since you brought it up and opened the topic — another
issue. Backdrop: BOF and WG-forming suggestions were sent to /dev/null favoring
the IAB Program as the solution. What follows is a set of factual observations
and no judgement or intentionality attached to them. But there’s (1) cisco
proponents and cisco side-meeting organizer despite the eimpact interim, (2)
with a Cisco-only I-D [1], (3) a Cisco AD meeting with (4) a Cisco IAB Member,
in the (5) historically least attended meeting, and change direction 180
degrees… Again, no extrapolation or conclusion, but even from an appearance or
optics perspectives.

Yes, I continue contributing in the industry and field to this topic, and I
would cautious you consider a bigger picture to see what approach(es) actually
help.

I hope and trust these are useful and clear,

Best,

Carlos.

[1] I did not see a response to this: