Ian,

The fact that more girls graduate high school than boys and that many
women earn degrees does not debunk the "girls are not called upon"
statement. I didn't say that happened in all classes, certainly in the
history classes and English classes I took the girls were called on as
much if not more than the boys. You'd have to show me stats that show
that the girls had higher grades in math and science to prove your
point.

I don't think it's a conscious action on the part of the teachers, to
discourage girls from the sciences. And yes, motivation should and can
come from within and from one's parents. But we are all to some extent
captive by our culture. And while there will always be kids (boys and
girls) who have enough self-esteem and confidence to buck the system
and "public opinion", far more of them want to conform and fit in.

I do think that the culture today, at least in the US, which idolizes
women more for how they look than how they think, is a major
contributor to girls shying away from the subjects that are considered
geeky and uncool.

I'm neither pleased nor displeased about the assistant director -- was
she the best candidate for the job? Does she do the work in an above
average manner?

I try really hard NOT to be prejudiced in either direction when hiring.
I try NOT to think about "affirmative action" but instead focus on
getting the best candidate for the position.

Rachel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael