> In a simulator you don't have generally static views &
> scenes, and you absolutely have to hit vsync, no frame drops
> or the suspension of disbelief is broken.
>
> Assuming that starting and stopping a sim visual update on
> demand is OK is very bad assumption, things like usleep and
> similiar tricks aren't at all reliable enough, as soon as you
> hand over responsibility for frame scheduling to something
> else that is schedule by the operating system or ever work
> windowing toolkit you have given any hope of determinism, you
> are in the lap of the gods whether you hit frame or not.
>
> Not to mention all the other issues associated with paging,
> animations and physics simulations...

In a dedicated flight sim, I tend to agree with you. Go ahead and let it
continuously redraw the scene, even if it is static -- the processor isn't
used for anything else anyway. But for any type of desktop/PC rendering
application, users expect the CPU to be free for other tasks when they pause
or stop the animation.

In my experience, dedicated rendering loops have actually generated end-user
bug reports, claiming the CPU was occupied even when they had stopped the
animation. After I modified the app to only render when needed, never once
did I receive a single bug report along the lines of "this wrecked my
suspension of disbelief".
   -Paul