________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Martz
        Sent: dinsdag 8 april 2008 21:49
        To: 'OpenSceneGraph Users'
        Subject: Re: [osg-users] why arent the ".h" postfix used in
openscenegraph?

        I agree that a "C++ IDE" should do the right thing for
extensionless files and assume they are C++ -- especially in the case
where they are listed as headers in the currently open project, for
crying out loud :-). However, C++ IDEs aren't the only problem...

        Consider any one of dozens of general purpose text editors with
support for source code syntax highlighting, which someone might use not
just for editing extensionless headers, but also for editing raw text
files with extensionless names like "readme," "passwd," and "mnttab".
Obviously I don't want C++ syntax highlighting in just any old file that
happens to not have an extension. Files with extensionless names have
existed long before C++, and many are still around today that have
nothing to do with C++. It was a mistake for C++ to try to claim
extensionless files as their own, a mistake that currently plagues us on
this list in the form of quarterly discussions on the subject.

        Although adding ".h" extensions to OSG headers would go a long
way towards eliminating this regular discussion topic, I'm certainly not
calling for a change: I'm an old timer, who grew up writing code with
black teletype text on rolls of white paper and punched cards (later,
green CRT text on a black background), so I could care less whether
syntax highlighting is available. Besides, as we all know, changing the
headers to use .h is well-nigh impossible at this point, it would
completely alienate the existing user base. However, I think lacking the
".h" extension is a mistake that I would rectify, were I to write a
next-generation scene graph.
           -Paul