On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 16:20 +0100, Kim C Bale wrote:
> I’ve been using the Feeling Software ColladaMax exporter for 3DSMax to
> export models so that I may use them in OSG. Now plain models work a
> treat. However, I have been given a file that contains an animation,
> and the animations don’t appear to show when I load them into
> osgViewer.
>

> I had a feeling that they wouldn’t, but is there something that I can
> do to enable them? Does anybody have any experience getting Collada
> model animations into osg? Is it supported at all?

A "standard" system for skeletal animation is something OSG currently
lacks. There was some discussion some months back about settling on one,
but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

For now, your main option is Cal3D. However, when I'm done with
osgWidget I'll probably devote that new time to helping Cedric Pinson
more with AnimTK, which I really believe to be a great toolkit (though
we'll have to eventually address it's usage of the GPL). I've already
contributed a bit to it and can speak for it's soundness, and both
myself and Cedric use Blender a great deal--so it's exporter there will
be rock solid. :)

I've made some videos of AnimTK mixing some simple animations from a
model made in Blender, they're on the osgWidget website (because it also
uses a simple osgWidget::Frame window :))

http://osgwidget.googlecode.com

I can tell you this though: AnimTK is divorced from any kind of mesh
format, so it wouldn't be impossible for the Collada plugin to use it to
facilitate it's animation in OSG one day...