On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Jean-Sébastien Guay <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Glenn,
>
>  Thanks for the files. I was able to use them to make it work. The problem
>> was that the original TIFF had geo spatial information.
>>

> OK, great, works here too. I'll have to take some notes so I don't make the
> same mistake in the future. I just assumed that since gdalinfo gave the
> lat/long in degrees, that the tiff was fine. Now I know that I need to look
> for the GEOGCS stuff.
>
> Follow-up question: the resulting reprojected image has the terrain
> "rotated" a bit, which gives borders at the top-left and bottom-right of the
> image. This also gives terrain that looks "higher" in the generated terrain.
> Is there some way to remove that?

Well, since a UTM zone represents a vertical "slice" of the earth, it won't
be perfectly rectangular -- in the northern hemisphere, the width at the
north side (in meters) is less than the width at the south. Since a TIFF is
rectangular, you see borders. The only way to compensate would be to stitch
multiple areas together and then crop out a rectangular region. Does that
answer your question?

I don't know what you mean by "higher".

Finally, is there some way to know what the ocean level is (or can I just
> approximate it at z=0)?

Z=0 at sea level.

--
Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com : 703-652-4791