Hi Sukender,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Sukender <suky0...@free.fr> wrote:
> Seeing your answer, it seems that I was not as clear as I should have been.
> Well, about blogs, that's okay.
> But about gaming industry, I was just saying that advertising/marketing
> towards game developpers should be interesting. For now, I have the
> impression that some of them fear OSG as if it was too complex, or not enough
> game-oriented for them (which is wrong, IMHO).

The OSG certainly isn't a game centric API, and certainly doesn't have
the feature set to be considered a game engine, so I can certainly see
that many might see the OSG as something not best suited for gaming.
The OSG is in fact about as general purpose as scene graph as has ever
been written so can certainly be used, and is used, for games, but it
does take seeing beyond needing a full game engine that ticks all your
boxes.

You impression of fear is an interesting one.  What influenced you to
come to this opinion?  Online discussions/blogs?  Face to face
meetings?

My guess is that if one hasn't used a professional grade scene graph
before I can certainly see that it might seem a bit daunting.  What is
pretty clear is that those who've used Performer/Inventor/Vega and
similar API's before take to the OSG pretty easily, often it's similar
enough to the concepts used in the other scene graph for them to grok
how one might tackle things, and after a short while the realisation
of extensibility, flexibility and access to source code and vibrant
community that the OSG adds on top this prior art does seem to be
appreciated.

I suspect the much of the games industry sees scene graphs as rather
more limited and simpler structures than we have, pushing complexity
more into the application framework than the underlying scene graph.

> When I said that "Quick-and-dirty" would happen, I was talking about what
> some people may code (in general), but not about core-OSG code. Only clean
> and general-purpose code should be merged, as usual: I was not saying that
> quick-and-dirty should be merged.

OK.  So I how would the "Quick-and-ditry" affect us?  Are you
suggesting that you just want to encourage game developers to not fear
using the OSG and just dive in and prototype with it? Not clear on
what you are envisaging.

> I began using OSG since 0.9.x (I remember how the wait until 1.0 was
> terrible!):

My wife used to call it the mythical 1.0 because it took so long to
converge to ;-)

Glad to say that we've now got systems in place to enable us push out
the stable releases much more regularly now.

> I of course saw what has been achieved and think (as many) that the direction
> is the right one. I'm not trying to
> *change* OSG, I'm just trying to open discussions about what could be
> interesting for game devs or game engine
> devs, and thus for OSG.

Understood.  My role as lead is partly as stabilising influence, and a
filter/guide, that can weather the pressures of different needs and
guide our average contribution in a direction that encompasses as much
our diverse needs as we can.

> And about management, I was not talking about management *of the project* but
> of some contributions, I'm terribly sorry if I seemed unpleasant.

No offence was taken.

> I was simply saying that some contributors are willing to build binaries,
> test things and do other tasks, and these short-terms tasks could be tracked
> on a public chart (or something like that) in order to prevent doing the same
> thing twice, and motivate some to fill the chart (well at least me!). I've
> done a draft on the wiki's sandbox for binaries builds:
> http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/SandBox/ContributorBuilds .
> Useful?

I think we should probably try and fit the naming of the packing into
ones discussed  a week or so back.  This will mean categorising.  If
we want to discuss this further then the previous thread on this topic
would be the one to restart rather than do it hear on what is
effectively a different topic.

> Off-topic question: is it possible to change the HTML title, META keywords
> and descriptions in the wiki?

Good question.  It is possible, but I don't know enough about Tracs to
give you an answer.