Hello Robert,

On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:
Hi Robert -- There are large projects out there based on SceneView and getting along just fine without osgViewer. Removing SceneView would, at best, require them to migrate SceneView out of OSG and into their own app (where it would continue to work, barring future incompatible changes in OSG). And at worst, cost them an expensive port and re-verification of their
product.

I support marking SceneView as deprecated and replaced by Renderer, but
think it would be wise to avoid changes to OSG that render SceneView
inoperable.

This has been my plan.  To steadily move more functionality into
osgViewer::Renderer and make SceneView redundant w.r.t modern OSG
usage.   SceneView needn't change too much, as
CullVisitor/RenderStage/RenderBin etc. will still be in osgUtil.

Once SceneView is redundant we'd need to make decision of when to move
it out of the core OSG into the deprecated section of the subversion
repository along with items like the old OpenFlight plugin.   Prior to
SceneView being moved out we'll need a period where we encourage OSG
users still relying on SceneView to migrate to using osgViewer::Viewer
in conjunction with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded, as it offers
the same easy ability to embed but offers a whole heap more
flexibility and functionality.

Do you have an example of how to use this class with an existing windowing toolkit? There was an FAQ on this subject related to SceneView that does not seem to be present anymore. If you have an example related to osgViewer that would be great.

Just as a note, while osgViewer offers more "features" than SceneViewer for some apps needs those features are not needed and therefore the simple interface of SceneView is more than sufficient and provides easy integration with other windowing toolkits. Hopefully with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded offers a similar interface with low computational overhead that does not bring along features that cause a performance hit.

 I would encourage this right now, as
SceneView is well passed it's sell by date.

Doug