Hi Doug,

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Doug McCorkle <mc...@iastate.edu> wrote:
> I understand this point and for the most part we pay for support to address
> these issues (because of the points you raise above).

We if you pay another party to maintain a branch of the OSG for you
then this is fine, any part or version of the OSG can be maintained
forever as it's all open source.  This is the beauty of open source -
you aren't locked into what I decide to do, or to come to me to
support.

That being said, my resposibility as project lead is to the main
branch, and this will need to evolve within the needs of the wider
community, with items being deprecated where they no longer server a
purpose of cause potential support issues.  This original post in this
thread is an illustration of the fact of having SceneView around still
can cause confusion.  Other threads you'll still see user's trying to
using osg::Geometry vertex indices even though the inline docs all say
don't do it, and users get persistently told not to use it.  In the
end sometimes the only way to avoid misuse is to remove code keeping
it around of backwards compatibility just causes more hassle.

> As I pointed out
> before I really do not have a need for the features you mention above and
> therefore have not found it necessary to move to osgViewer. Anyway, thanks
> for the pointers to the examples. I will take a look at these and see what
> issues might arise in migrating our application to this interface.

I suspect you already have a need for osgViewer, but you've coded
around the deficiencies of SceneView so don't notice it.  I've
certainly laboured lots of times trying to help users over the years
integrate the DatabasePager with their SceneView apps, or how to
handle multiple contexts etc.  All problems neatly solved by osgViewer
for you.

It's worth mentioning that SceneView was officially marked for
deprecation back when we were working on the dev work for
OpenSceneGraph-2.0, over two and half years ago.  From the doxygen
comment for SceneView:

/**
 * SceneView is deprecated, and is now just kept for backwards compatibility.
 * It is recommend that you use osgViewer::Viewer/Composite in combination
 * with osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded for embedded rendering support as
 * this provides a greater range of functionality and consistency of API.
*/