Thanks J-S for pointing out that leaf tiles have no PagedLOD nodes.
That changes things a bit; don't know how I missed it.  Since then
I've tried to use VPB to output a good sample database.  Right now I'm
stuck on a few more problems.  Hopefully there are solutions for these
troubles that I just haven't found yet.  If anyone knows any solutions
or workarounds to these issues I'd be happy to hear them.

1.  Units.  My database defaults to being built in degrees.  I would
prefer meters, which can be achieved using the --range option.
(Actually, --range appears to be necessary to keep the database from
being completely square, which is incorrect anyplace other than on the
equator.)  Once I've used --range on one item, it must be used on
everything to get all my sources in the same coordinate system.  This
is unwieldy when there are a lot of source images and/or DEMs.  Since
all my images and DEMs contain geographic info, it would probably be
better to have some option that just lets you specify the units for
the final database, and some way to squash the database appropriately
depending on the latitude.

2.  My main GEOTiff contains geographic info, but fails to reproject
if any of my DEMs do not use the --range option.  This appears to be a
GDAL error, but I don't understand it well enough to fix it yet:

ERROR 1: Unable to compute a transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates for 37N_123Wx39N_121W.tif.
There is no affine transformation and no GCPs.
Failed to reproject 37N_123Wx39N_121W.tif

3. --range values for images can be entered in either order, min-max
or max-min.  For DEMs, order matters.  This is odd, but is probably
very fixable.

5.  I'd like to be able to specify a minimum number of levels to build
for the whole database, and then build more levels where there is
high-res imagery.  So far I can't find any way to do this.  Without
this I'd be building a huge number of tiles that don't have
high-enough-res elevation or image data to justify their existence.

6.  Creator loads up my .flt files in bad, indescribable, uneditable
ways (probably due to my horribly outdated version of Creator).

7.  I need the output image files to be separate from the terrain
files when editing .flt.  I don't see a way to build tiles with
separate image files, but I think I've seen a code snippet somewhere
for extracting images.  Other options are welcome.

8.  I still need to work out the reasons for the big file size
differences between my output .ive files and the .flt files I convert
them too.  Converting back to .osg I noticed huge lists of Geodes each
containing one triangle.  Maybe I can do some tri-stripifying when
converting back from .flt to .ive.
--
Terry Welsh  /  mogumbo 'at' gmail.com
www.reallyslick.com  /  www.mogumbo.com