Hi Shayne,

Simple put is VPB for best performance and lowest latency, osgEarth
for maximum runtime flexibility.  Broadly speaking a flight sim would
need to use VPB, while a GIS app will find osgEarth more appropriate.

You can actually mix and match the two as osgEarth has plugin for
reading VPB generated databases.

Robert.